WAN & Internet
This page shows some useful documents on WAN and public internet architectures that sit between Service Providers and across the global backbone. Technologies include eBGP Peering/Transit, L2TP, DNS, Internet Routing Registries and so forth.
- BGP Path Control: It’s good to have this printed on your desk or sitting somewhere for easy access until it becomes second nature.
- BGP Path Attribute Types: This document gives a flow chart defining the different BGP Path Attributes types, showing which attribute falls under which type.
- DNS Basics: This gives a broad overview of how the Domain Name System works and offer quick reference for anyone new to its workings.
- L2TP Overview: Summary diagram of the fundamentals of L2TP along with its connection establishment and operation with PPP.
- SSL Order of Operation: This shows the sequence of events that takes place behind the scenes when your PC browses to a website using HTTPS with SSL.
- local-as command: The BGP local-as command, and all of its options, can be tough to get your head around. This document gives a concise breakdown of what each of the different options are and how they affect the AS_PATH attribute. A supplementary lab can be downloaded here.